Vitamin D: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments
A few days ago, one of my friends complained of pain in the ankles. When the doctor showed up, it was discovered that there was a shortage of vitamin D in him, due to which he was suffering. Friends, it is a matter of concern that the health problems that had happened in earlier old age have started happening to young people. And its responsible is to a great extent our changed lifestyle. The lack of vitamin D and related problems are also a side effect of our AC culture and comfortable life.
Let us now know in detail about the symptoms, causes and remedies of Vitamin D deficiency:
Exposure to Sunlight is the easiest way to get vitamin D
What is Vitamin D ?
Vitamin D is one of the most important vitamins found in the body. Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble pro-hormones that help the body absorb calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphate and zinc. Vitamin D, known as Sunshine Vitamin, is produced by the body when our skin comes in contact with sunlight. It is found naturally in some food and drinks too-
Vitamin D is mainly of two types:
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) – which is produced by plants.
- Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) – which is formed when the sunlight comes in contact with our skin. This can also be achieved by some animal sources.
Vitamin D deficiency symptoms:
- Pain in bones
- weakness in muscles
- Excessive fatigue without having to
- Get more sleep than needed in the daytime
- You feel depressed: Scientists found in a study that those who had deficiency of Vitamin D were 11 times more likely to get depressed than healthy people. So if you are depressed then there may be a lack of vitamin D in you.
- Sweating from the head: It may sound strange, but sweating more than the rest of the body can be a sign of vitamin D deficiency. Many times the doctor examines this vision to detect the deficiency of vitamin D in children. Are there.
- Many people do not see these signs clearly, but they may still lack vitamin D due to which many health related problems can arise.
- Repeated infection also indicates lack of vitamin D. Actually, the important part of our immune system i.e. the immune system is activated properly by “T-Cells” Vitamin D. And its lack of time can make the person sick again and again.
- Frequent respiratory problems may be a symptom of vitamin D deficiency.
These health problems can be caused by vitamin D deficiency in blood.
Diseases of the rickets are curved
Vitamin D is important for the strengthening of bones, because it helps the body to use calcium present in the food. Vitamin D deficiency can cause rickets, it is a disease in which bone tissue is not properly mineralized, due to which the bones become soft and the shape of the body worsens. But according to the latest research Vitamin D plays an important role in avoiding too many health problems.
Rickets (childbirth), due to the lack of vitamin D in this disease, the feet of the children do not turn straight into the arc shape.
- Pain in the bones which can occur in any part of the body.
- The risk of death due to cardiovascular disease increases.
- Problems of cognitive impairment in older people, trouble remembering, learning new things, concentrating, or making decisions that affect their daily life. There may be problems in remembering something, learning new things, etc.
- severe asthama in children
Research shows that the right amount of Vitamin D can save you from these diseases:
⦁ Type 1 and Type 2diabetes
⦁ Glucose intolerance and
⦁ Multiple sclerosis (a) associated with brain and spinal cord
Due to lack of vitamin D / Causes of vitamin D deficiency
If you save too much from the sun, you do not like to drink milk, and if you are also pure vegetarian then you may have a shortage of vitamin D or in the near future. Let us understand the reasons for the deficiency of vitamin D:
- Consume lesser amount of vitamin D which can be taken by taking a strict vegan diet. Because vitamin D is found naturally in most non-veg things. For example: In fish, in beef liver, and in egg yolks
- Removing very little in the sun. As we have mentioned, vitamin D is formed when your skin comes in contact with sunlight, so if you are always at home, live in places where the sun comes down or if the HEMA shields from sunlight There may be a deficiency in vitamin D inside of you.
If your skin is brown, you need ten times sun exposure to produce vitamin D in just the right amount compared to those with white skin. This is because your skin pigments work like a natural sunscreen, and these pigments are more in dark skin, so people with such skin have to stay in the sunshine for long enough to produce vitamin D. Some studies show that older people with dark skin may have a higher risk of vitamin D deficiency.
- If your kidney does not convert Vitamin D into its active form then there may be a deficiency of VITAMIN D. As the age of people increases, the ability to convert vitamin D to active form decreases, and the risk of vitamin D deficiency increases.
- If your digestive tract does not absorb vitamin D properly, then there may be a deficiency of vitamin D. Certain diseases such as Crohn’s disease, cystic fibrosis, and celiac disease may also reduce the ability to absorb vitamin D from eating intestine.
- Obesity can also cause vitamin D deficiency. Due to obesity, fat cells can extract vitamin D from the blood, which reduces blood circulation. Those who have BMI more than 30, those people often lack deficiency of vitamin D.
- Age above 50 years: As the age increases, the ability to produce vitamin D with the sun’s skin decreases. Also, the ability to convert kidney vitamin D to body use also decreases, so there is a shortage of vitamin D in older adults.
- People with Chronic Kidney Disease can also have a deficiency of Vitamin D.
- Tuberculosis (TB) patients lack vitamin D deficiency.
Tests for Vitamin D Deficiency
Doctors recommend 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood test to detect deficiency of vitamin D. There are different views of the American institutions Institute of Medicine (IOM) and Endocrine Society about how much volume of vitamin D is more or less. In the table below, you can see the level of Vitamin D measured in “nanograms / milliliter” according to these institutions and its meanings:
IOM Guidelines ENDOCRINE SOCIETY GUIDELINES
DEFICIANCY 12 ng / mL below 20 ng / ml bolow
INSUFFICIANT 2 to 20 ng / mL 21to 29 ng / mL
SUFFICIANT 20 ng / mL above 30 to 60ng / mL
Vitamin D deficiency treatment / Treatment for vitamin D deficiency
Before removing the deficiency of vitamin D, it is important to know how much vitamin D is needed for our body every day? It also has different opinions from the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and Endocrine Society, according to these institutions, the requirement of Vitamin D is as follows:
1 to 18 YEARS OLD 19TO 70 YEARS OLD 71+ YEARS OLD
INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE (IOM) 600 IU / day 600 IU / day 800 IU / day
ENDOCRINE SOCIETY 600-1,000 IU / day 1,500-2,000IU / day 1,500-2,000 IU / day
Treatment of Vitamin D deficiency:
There are three ways to meet Vitamin D needs:
First way: by spending time in sunlight
Ultra Violet – B rays coming from the sun produce vitamin D together with our skin. Therefore, if we spend some time in our daily routine between the sun’s rays then the lack of vitamin D can be easily and naturally removed.
For how long vitamin D should stay in the sun?
Blond people have to live in less sunlight than black people. Where fair skinned person works without any sunscreen in 10-15 minutes, black people may have to stay in the sun for 1 hour. Keep in mind that vitamin D is produced more easily in the summer than in winter. That is, you should spend more time in the sun than in winter than in summer.
What kind of clothes to wear vitamin D?
Wearing clothes that contain more and more part of the body directly in contact with sun rays.
Are all the radiations coming from the sun able to produce vitamin D?
No, only UV-B rays are capable of it.
Do you get vitamin D from running the car in the sun?
No, UV-B rays can not reach you by crossing the body or mirror of the car.
Which time is most suitable for taking vitamin D from sun rays?
According to one study, the time from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. is most suitable for taking vitamin D.
Another way: by taking diet with vitamin D
To remove vitamin D deficiency, you should consume such things as vitamin D is found. Such as:
- fish liver oils, and
- In egg yolk,
- Apart from some fortified dairy products * and grain products, vitamin D is also found.
* In which separate vitamins are added.
Third method: Vitamin D supplements / medicine
There are so many medicines available in the market today that we can overcome the shortcomings of Vitamin D. But should never start drinking directly from the market, because the requirement of each person is different and the doctor can tell you exactly how much quantity and how many days you should take Vitamin D supplements.
Which type of vitamin D is suitable for supplement as a supplement?
Vitamin D3 is most suitable for this.
What is the correct way to take this supplement?
It is okay to take it with such food which is high in fat. It has been found in a study that taking vitamin D supplement with fat rich food, rather than empty stomach, its absorption is more than 32%.
Is there any limit to taking vitamin D, or can we take as much vitamin as D?
Yes, Vitamin D should be taken within a range, excessive vitamin D can cause bone related problems.
Be sure to consult the doctor before applying any information given here.